The history of SITC dates back to 1917 when it was mooted by the then Deputy Director of Malay Schools, Sir R.O. Winstedt, as a training college for Malay teachers. On 26 May 1917, Tanjong Malim was officially chosen as the location for the college. The proposal to name the college after Almarhum Sultan Idris Murshidul Azzam Shah, the 28th Sultan of Perak, was presented to HRH Sultan Abdul Jalil who consented, as Almarhum Sultan Idris was known for his contributions in the education of Malays. SITC was opened on 29 November 1922 by the Chief Secretary of the Federated Malay States, Sir George Maxwell.
SITC was renamed Institut Perguruan Sultan Idris in 1987 and later upgraded to university status as Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris in 1997.
2. Official website of UPSI