The establishment of The Malay State Guides under Colonel R.S.F Walker (whose statue is at the Perak Museum) in 1896 later led to the formation of the Federated Malay States Police Force.
The official residence for the Resident was at the Residency Hill, Taiping. Other residences were also available in Kuala Kangsar and Ipoh.
Tin mining in Larut attracted large numbers of settlers, particularly of Chinese origin.
The main mining centre of Larut between 1840-50 was at Kelian Pauh, where the Taiping gaol now stands. Kelian Pauh was re-named Taiping meaning “Peace” after the Larut War. An elephant which was used by the miners escaped into the nearby jungle and, when recaptured, was found to be covered with mud rich in tin ore. This led to a wild rush to the “new mines”, or Kelian Baharu, later re-named Kamunting.