Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman (STAR) was one of the three boarding schools established in Malaya following the suggestions put forward in the 1956 Penyata Razak. The founding of STAR in Ipoh (together with Sekolah Datuk Abdul Razak in Tanjong Malim and Sekolah Tun Fatimah in Durian Daun, Melaka) aimed towards providing a solid education to selected rural boys and girls with merit. STAR (then known as Malay Secondary School) moved to its current Tiger Lane campus on 6 January 1958, and was then officially named after the first DYMM Seri Paduka DiPertuan Agong on 14 May 1958. It was not until this day on 23 September 1958 that STAR received an official visit from DYMM Tuanku Abdul Rahman. STAR’s headmaster at that time was Hamdan bin Sheikh Tahir (later Tun).