If you want a conversational piece, this photograph will do just the trick, in our humble opinion. This impressive group photo shows Almarhum Sultan Abdul Aziz ibni Raja Muda Musa together with the royal sons and daughters of Perak. At the moment, following much discussion on Facebook(!), we are able to name some of the people in the photo [names with the query sign, in parentheses, indicate tentative guesses!]:
Seated (from left to right): ?Raja Halijah binti Almarhum Sultan Abdullah Muhammad Shah II (Tengku Permaisuri to the Sultan of Deli, fondly known as Tok Suri); Raja Fatimah binti Almarhum Sultan Idris I (Tah Selangor); Raja Puan Besar Taayah Raja Abdul Hamid; ?(Permaisuri Che’ Umi Kelsom – wife of Sultan Abdul Aziz); YTM Raja Muda Yusuf Izzudin; DYMM Sultan Abdul Aziz; YAM Raja Bendahara Idris ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar; YAM Raja Di-Hilir Abdul Rashid ibni Almarhum Sultan Idris I; ?Raja Puan Bongsu (of) Medan; Tengku Salmiah binti Tengku Ismail (mother of Raja Hirdan); ?
For the rest of the photograph, whilst it can be a bit of a hit-and-miss affair, there are some definitely known faces:
1. Raja Azizah binti Almarhum Sultan Abdullah Muhammad Shah II, standing first row, third from right, with the black selendang.
2. Raja Azam bin Raja Kamaralzaman, standing second row, rightmost.
3. Raja Badri Shah bin Raja Harun Al Rashid, standing third row, third left.
Among the quandaries posed by this photo are:
1. When was this photo taken? One of the editors (Mahariz Muzaffar –Eds.) suggested 1938, the time Sultan Abdul Aziz was installed, by virtue of the appearance of Raja Azam that is highly identical to his prefectorial board photo at MCKK in 1936. A suggestion by Raja Nur Jannah Hirdan was any time after 1940, especially with the possibility that Raja Perempuan Khadijah is not in the photo as she mangkat in 1939.
2. Where was this photo taken?
Once again, any help with these questions and identification of more people in the above photo would be fantastic and the usual disclaimer applies (no prizes, sorry –Eds.).