Throughout the history of Perak, we would have heard of the names of:
1. Sultan Muzaffar Shah – the first Sultan of Perak descended from the Royal House of Melaka
2. Tun Saban – a Malay Chief of Hulu Perak who was said to have had an audience with Sultan Mahmud Shah in Kampar requesting that a prince be brought to Perak and made Sultan
3. Megat Terawis – the first Bendahara of Perak, descended from the great imperial house of Pagar Ruyung
4. Syed Hussain Al-Faradz Jamalullail – the first Orang Kaya Menteri of Perak who came to Perak in 1528, from the Perak House of Jamulallail said to be descendants of Fatima az-Zahra, the daughter of Muhammad SAW
5. Daeng Salili (Haji Besar) – the first Maharaja Lela Tan Lela Putera Panchong Ta’ Bertanya, bestowed by Sultan Muzaffar Shah III, and a Bugis Raja from Sulawesi
You may have read an entry SembangKuala posted in August on Megat Terawis, and since then we have received a genealogy chart from saudara Megat Iskandar Megat Zaharuddin, which shows the links between the families of the aforementioned five men.
To see the chart in PDF format, please click here.
A few interesting points of note can be gleaned from the chart (which is non-exhaustive):
1. The earliest ancestor of Megat Terawis seen here was a half-Sumatran, half-Javanese prince named Adityavarman who resided in Tanah Datar, West Sumatera in the 14th century. Adityavarman left numerous stone inscriptions, which were the first historical records of West Sumatra.
2. Yamtuan Raja Hitam, an ancestor of the current ruling house of Negeri Sembilan (to be exact, the great-great-great-great-great grandfather of DYMM Tuanku Muhriz) was the descendant of a daughter of Megat Terawis.
3. Eminent Megats like Dato Seri Dr Megat Khas and Tan Sri Dato Seri Megat Najmuddin (current president of MCOBA) are descendants of Megat Menjanas and Raja Kenayan Shah Alam, a daughter of Sultan Muzaffar Shah II of Perak. Megat Menjanas in turn was a descendant of both Megat Terawis and Tun Bongsu Bangsawan, daughter of Tun Saban.
4. Raja Chulan Raja Abdul Hamid (author of Hikayat Misa Melayu) was married to a grand-daughter of Daeng Salili and Raja Su, sister to Sultan Muzaffar Shah III.
5. Syed Shamsuddin bin Menteri Bendahara Syed Abu Bakar was married to Puteri Bulan binti Megat Mutabar, the grand-daughter of Bendahara Megat Pendia, one of the Perak generals who led the army in the war against Bugis in Bukit Gantang in the 1740’s. The other two Perak generals in this war were Raja Muda Iskandar (later Sultan Iskandar Dzulkarnain) and Raja Kimas (later Sultan Mahmud Shah).
The editors of SembangKuala would like to extend their sincerest gratitude to Megat Iskandar Megat Zaharuddin for providing the genealogy chart. Megat Iskandar is the secretary of The Megat Terawis Clan Association.